In a previous post I talked about how SoftBank recently announced that by 2035 1 Trillion devices would be connected. Whether or not that happens is not the point, as it’s about the ambition & not necessarily the result. But for that to happen, what needs to occur?
1. Market adoption by consumers and businesses of new products/services that help them solve most of their important daily problems & challenges;
2. Significant improvement in connectivity, cloud, data analytics & management, AI & other IoT solution & related technologies to help enterprises and the ecosystem handle all the real-time data being generated by the devices at such a significant scale;
3. Digital transformation of established enterprise & government to rapidly adapt to the new paradigm and compete with IoT focussed startups;
4. Deep ecosystem & cluster development with value-chain players working together & aligned in R&D and GTM within specific industry sectors or use cases.
5. Significant lowering of device manufacturing costs to enable business model innovations to drive market adoption, such as subscriptions, service models and so on.
There may be others but this is just a sample of my initial thoughts right now. If you have any others be sure to let me know